Join our team
We're looking for safety professionals to join our team! Campus Safety is an innovative organization dedicated to providing effective safety and security services, personal safety planning, and support and care resources for people in distress.
Our mission is to foster a safe, supportive, and inclusive campus environment by building partnerships, solving problems, and working collaboratively to reduce crime, preserve peace, and provide safety services equally to all members of the community.
Our employees have ample opportunities to participate in community service projects, secure Big Ten athletic events, and build meaningful relationships with students and employees.
Our multi-disciplinary team is focused on approaching campus safety in a comprehensive and holistic way.
Units include: Police Department, Security Services, Emergency Management, Threat Assessment Team, Security Engineering Services, Emergency Communications, Clery Compliance and Fire Safety.
The University of Iowa is among the top public research institutions in the nation—offering a world-class education in over 200 areas of study to more than 31,000 students. From the most prestigious creative writing program in the United States, to a nationally recognized academic medical center, our balanced excellence in the arts and sciences encourages innovation and exploration across the disciplines.
What makes us unique?
- No residency requirement
- Large, geographically dispersed Big Ten campus in Iowa's 3rd largest metro
- 12-hour shifts (6 a.m. to 6 p.m. or 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.)
- Work 14 days per month, and choose your schedule*
- Paid training, uniform and equipment
- Abundant overtime opportunities
- Ability to accrue up to 160-hours of compensatory time, and rollover into new FY
- Generous retirement package (continue your IPERS pension or 401K)
- Additional 457(b) deferred compensation plan with $75 match
- Play a key role in securing Big Ten athletic events, concerts, and dignitary visits
- Participate in community service, educational programming, and mentorship of student employees
Officers are encouraged to pursue training opportunities, and have the option to participate in a variety of special assignments, including: Iowa City Metro Special Response Team (SRT), K9 Handlers, Investigations Division, Community Outreach, Johnson County Bomb Squad, Johnson County Dive Team, Johnson County Drug Task Force
*Choose your own day off schedule with assistance from supervisor, so long as mandatory staffing minimums are met.
The Police Department continually accepting applications for open police officer positions.
Ample overtime opportunities are available for special events, athletic events, and additional departmental needs.
FY 2024 (July 1, 2023 — June 30, 2024)
The annual salary range for certified candidates is $60,777.60 to $85,883.20 depending on experience and qualifications.
Candidates that are not yet certified start at $60,777.60
Entry-level candidates will be sent to the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy for training and receive full pay while attending. Upon graduation from the academy, recruits will complete the required field training program until they demonstrate a level of competency consistent with the expectations of solo patrol. Our department is also proud to provide training in fair and impartial policing, crisis intervention, and skill building in emotional intelligence, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The University of Iowa Police Department is currently accepting police officer applications on a continual basis.
Candidates must successfully complete the following steps in the hiring process in order to be eligible for openings.
- Submit application
- Physical agility test*
- National Police Officer Selection Test (POST)*
- Panel Interview
After conditional offer:
- Completion of recruitment packet (criminal and motor vehicle records, credit history)
- Background investigation and driver’s license verification
- MMPI II Test
- Medical physical (including vision and hearing)*
- Drug screen
Requirement may not apply to some Iowa Law Enforcement Academy certified officers.
You are welcome to review the recruitment packet. Do not submit it until we request it from you.
Email Chief Lucy Wiederholt, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Learn more and apply for an open police officer position.
Student Security Officer
Why Student Security?
- Pay starts at $13/hour. Earn up to $20/hour depending on your assignment.
- Late-night and weekend hours. Work off hours, with the chance to study on the clock.
- Leadership opportunities. Build skills that can be attractive to an employer in any field.
- Make your own schedule.
A full background check is required. Current openings can also be found on Handshake.
Details and Advancement Opportunities
Security Services is continually accepting applications for Student Security Officers who are interested in supporting campus safety services through a variety of on-campus assignments.
Assignments include but are not limited to:
- Patrol assignments in assigned campus buildings and parking lots
- Operating the NITE RIDE Service
- Staffing athletic events, and other special assignments on campus
Enhance public safety through a variety of fixed post and patrol assignments.
- Entry-level position
- Patrol the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, parking lots, residence halls, and campus buildings
- Help with staffing the Nite Ride service and special events on campus, including athletic events and concerts
- Work a minimum of 5 hours per week and be available for overnight hours
- Show a willingness to learn, report potential emergency situations, and be vigilant while on duty
Excel as an officer by taking the initiative in a leadership role.
- Oversee specific assignments such as the Nite Ride service or residence hall patrols
- Train student security officers on their special assignments and coach them throughout their employment
- Cover open shifts and make sure daily operations run smoothly
- Work a minimum of 12 hours per week, including four hours dedicated to your special assignment
- Demonstrate knowledge in various assignments and serve as a role model for student officers
Act as a liaison between full-time staff and student officers.
- Take on special projects to help student security operations
- Lead recruiting, orientation, scheduling, and coaching duties
- Strive to make the student security division better as a whole and help increase awareness of safety resources on campus
- Work a minimum of 15 hours per week and attend weekly meetings with full-time staff
- Show a true diligence to Security Services and its mission
Email Security Supervisor Geoff Chapin, email@example.com for more information.
Student Security Officer
Please fill out the application and submit your resumé with your materials.
There are no additional open positions at this time.
For a complete list of full time and temporary positions, please visit Jobs@UIOWA.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at 319-356-7543.