Sunday, October 8, 2023

Starting college comes with new independence and responsibilities. Fire Prevention Week is a great opportunity to learn more about common fire risks, and how to prevent them. Here are five tips to help you stay safe:

  • Get to know your building. Whether you’re living in a residence hall, apartment building, or house off campus, familiarize yourself with the layout, including the location of fire exits, fire alarms, and fire extinguishers.
  • Take fire alarms seriously. When the alarm sounds, leave the building immediately and follow instructions of first responders on scene.
  • Be a safe chef. If you have a kitchen where you live, be cautious while cooking. Never leave cooking food unattended and add water to fast-cooking microwave meals. Check your oven for unexpected items before pre-heating, and always turn off your oven or stove when you’re done cooking.
  • Avoid using candles and incense. Open flames can quickly cause fires. Never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything flammable like curtains or bedding. Consider flameless alternatives. Remember: Candles, incense, and space heaters are prohibited in the residence halls.
  • Don’t overload electrical outlets. Never use an extension cord with large appliances such as a refrigerator. Only use surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection.

To report a fire, smoke, or odor of something burning, go to a safe location and call 911.

You can learn more about what to do during a fire in the Emergency Response Guide.