Campus Safety has teamed up with Undergraduate Student Government and Graduate and Professional Student Government to distribute personal safety alarms to students.
Those interested in receiving a personal safety alarm should mark their calendars, and plan to attend an upcoming safety tabling event. Please be prepared to present your student ID.
- Monday, Jan. 22, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., Kautz Plaza (T. Anne Cleary Walkway) *While supplies last
If you can’t make it to an event, but would like to pick up an alarm, you can also visit the new Campus Safety Service Center on the first floor of University Capitol Centre (1390 UCC) from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday while supplies last. Personal safety alarms will also be available at the USG Office in the IMU, room 145, during office hours.
These personal safety alarms are multi-use and can be attached to a key chain. When you pull the pin, the alarm flashes and beeps very loud to get the attention of everyone around you. You can learn more here.
Using a personal safety alarm is just one layer of security students can use to enhance their personal safety. Campus Safety strongly encourages students and employees to stay informed, be aware of their surrounding at all times, use free campus safety services and review these personal safety tips.
Campus Safety and Support Resources
Using a personal safety alarm is just one layer of security students can use to enhance their personal safety. Campus Safety strongly encourages students to regularly review and use additional safety resources, including:
- UI Support and Crisis Line (24/7): 844-461-5420; call, text or chat online
- Nite Ride: Free late-night transportation service for students and employees. Request a ride using your HawkID and Password between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m..
- Rave Guardian: allows users to set a safety timer for their walk home, text anonymous tips to Campus Safety, or call the UI Police Department with the touch of a button. Users also have the option to enter emergency contacts and important health information. Sign up with your UI email address for access to the campus network.
- Campus Safety Tips: Learn about proactive steps you can take to reduce your risk of being affected by crime.
- Bike Registration: Register your bike using Bike Index, and learn more about theft prevention.
To learn more, visit: safety.uiowa.edu/hawkeyesafe.